- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
The coastal or windswept garden
A great deal of effort, cost and ultimate disappointment awaits those who do not properly research plants which will tolerate extremes of wind and salt sprays. One of Burncoose's specialities is in selecting plants which will tolerate coastal conditions.
We can readily offer fuller plant lists depending on exactly how close your garden is to the shoreline or how exposed it is to westerly gales in hilly or mountainous locations. Near the coast in hot, dry and sandy soil conditions some more tender plants will survive and prosper but, at higher colder altitudes, the choices can be more limited.
If in doubt select your own plant list and ask us to comment on its suitability preferably with an emailed picture or two of your garden.