- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- All offers and promotions
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2016
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2016
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Holly-leaved barberry, Mountain grape, Oregon grape
A valuable suckering plant for underplanting in dense shade
Buy MAHONIA aquifolium
- Good to know - wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects.
- Pests & Diseases - rust, mildew.
- Place of Origin - western North America. Introduced to UK in 1823.
- Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - in metres - 1m (3ft)
- Spread - in metres - 1.5m (5ft)
- Evergreen - pinnate, bright-green leaves to 30cm (12in) long with up to 9 oval, spiny-toothed leaflets, often turning red-purple in winter.
- Ground Cover - These plants are typically low growing and spread quickly to inhibit weed growth on areas of bare soil
- Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - open, suckering shrub. Produces flowers in dense clusters to 8cm (3in) long followed by blue-black berries.
- Full Shade
- Full Sun - will tolerate full sun if soil is not too dry.
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile, humus rich.
Flower Colour -
Buy Varieties of MAHONIA aquifolium
Rootgrow - Large - 360g
(360gram sachet - inc c&p) £12.00
Rootgrow - Medium - 150g
(150gram sachet - inc c&p) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 0.9 kg
(0.9 kg - c&p inc) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 2.5 kg
(2.5 kg - c&p inc) £10.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 4.5 kg
(4.5 kg - c&p inc) £16.00
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought MAHONIA aquifolium also bought these...
Oregon grape, Mountain grape, Holly-leaved barberry
Available from £14.50