News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy CLEMATIS cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles'
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought CLEMATIS cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles' also bought these...
CLEMATIS cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles'
Larger flowered form, tinged pink with maroon spots
- Good to know - grow over arch or pergola to appreciate the flower colour. Prune after flowering if size needs to be restricted. Wildlife plant - early nectar and pollen for insects.
- Pests & Diseases - cutworms, aphids on young plants, whiteflies under glass. Clematis wilt.
- Place of Origin - Balearic Islands, Corsica, Sardinia.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - in metres - 2.5 - 3m (8-10ft)
- Spread - in metres - 1.5m (5ft)
- Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if growns on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and self-clinging - early-flowering species. Flowers on previous year's growth. Open, cup-shaped flowers 5-10cm (2-4in) across followed by attractive seed heads.
- Evergreen - leaves are slightly bronze beneath.
- Full Sun - provide shade for roots and base of plant.
- Partial Shade
- Scented flowers
- fertile well drained soil - humus-rich. Mulch in late winter.