- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
CLEMATIS cirrhosa var balearica 'Freckles'
Commonly known as: Virgin's bower.
Larger flowered form, tinged pink with maroon spots
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - grow over arch or pergola to appreciate the flower colour. Prune after flowering if size needs to be restricted. Wildlife plant - early nectar and pollen for insects.
- Pests & Diseases - cutworms, aphids on young plants, whiteflies under glass. Clematis wilt.
- Place of Origin - Balearic Islands, Corsica, Sardinia.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - 2.5 - 3m (8-10ft)
- Spread - 1.5m (5ft)
- Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging - early-flowering species. Flowers on previous year's growth. Open, cup-shaped flowers 5-10cm (2-4in) across followed by attractive seed heads.
- Evergreen - leaves are slightly bronze beneath.
- Full Sun - provide shade for roots and base of plant.
- Partial Shade
- Scented flowers
- fertile well drained soil - humus-rich. Mulch in late winter.
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
Blue passion flower
Available from £13.50
CLEMATIS cirrhosa var balearica 'Wisley Cream'
Available from £14.50
SARCOCOCCA hookeriana var digyna
Available from £14.00
SOLANUM crispum 'Glasnevin'
Chilean potato tree
Available from £13.50