- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers September 2017
- September Seasonal Sale
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Fir.
Abies, Silver Fir, is a genus of about 50 species from Europe, northern Africa, Asia and North America, dominating their northern and mountainous regions. All make good shelter breaks and screening and attractive specimen trees. Contains two contenders for best Christmas tree in the Nordmann fir, A. nordmanniana and, increasing in popularity, the American Fraser fir A. fraseri
- Good to know - female cones are often purplish-blue, erect and produced on the upper branches. Males are pendent, green when young turning purplish brown and produced throughout the crown.
- Pests & Diseases - adelgids, honey fungus.
- Place of Origin - Europe, northern Africa, Asia, North America.
- Evergreen - flattened mid- to dark-green leaves, often with 2 longitudinal silver bands beneath.
- Full Sun - will tolerate shade.Shelter from cold drying winds.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Neutral to acid soil