- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers February 2017
- Feburary Sale
- Mother's Day Offers
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - female cones are often purplish-blue, erect and produced on the upper branches. Males are pendent, green when young turning purplish brown and produced throughout the crown.
- Pests & Diseases - adelgids, honey fungus.
- Place of Origin - Europe, northern Africa, Asia, North America.
- Evergreen - flattened mid- to dark-green leaves, often with 2 longitudinal silver bands beneath.
- Full Sun - will tolerate shade.Shelter from cold drying winds.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Neutral to acid soil
Buy Varieties of ABIES
Colorado white fir, White fir
smooth grey bark and blue green foliage
A rare American conifer with dense crowded leaves and a conical crown
Giant fir, Grand fir
very quick growing tree with shiny green leaves
A small slow growing compact tree with white undersides to the leaves and violet-purple upright cylindrical cones