- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Australian fuchsia
Genus of about 20 species of evergreen shrubs and small trees from scrub and woodland in Australia.
Natural hybridisation makes naming confusing and hundreds of named varieties exist. Some species are becoming endangered in the wild.
Good to know - in warm areas good as a courtyard plant or at the base of a wall.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects in greenhouse.
Place of Origin - Australia.
Will grow outside in milder locations - This could include plants which would survive happily in a greenhouse or conservatory if not in a mild location. If you have a sheltered spot in your garden then it may do well here. - if growing in greenhouse - ericaceous compost, full light, shade from hot sun.
Evergreen - shrubs and small trees. Leaves are aromatic when bruised.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - flowers are tubular to bell-shaped with 4 spreading or reflexed lobes.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil