- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Australian fuchsia
Genus of about 20 species of evergreen shrubs and small trees from scrub and woodland in Australia.
Natural hybridisation makes naming confusing and hundreds of named varieties exist. Some species are becoming endangered in the wild.
Good to know - in warm areas good as a courtyard plant or at the base of a wall.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects in greenhouse.
Place of Origin - Australia.
Will grow outside in milder locations - This could include plants which would survive happily in a greenhouse or conservatory if not in a mild location. If you have a sheltered spot in your garden then it may do well here. - if growing in greenhouse - ericaceous compost, full light, shade from hot sun.
Evergreen - shrubs and small trees. Leaves are aromatic when bruised.
Medium Shrub - Typically grow to around 4-6 feet in height - flowers are tubular to bell-shaped with 4 spreading or reflexed lobes.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Neutral to acid soil