- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Bread and cheese, Common hawthorn, May, Quickthorn.
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - one of the very best wildlife plants. Excellent hedge. Common hawthorn has 1 seed in each berry, Midland hawthorn has 2.
- Pests & Diseases - caterpillars, aphids, gall midges, fireblight. honey fungus, rust, powdery mildew.
- Place of Origin - Europe. One of the two native hawthorns.
- Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
- Height - 10m (30ft)
- Spread - 8m (25ft)
- Tree - rounded, thorny tree. Flat heads of 6-12 flowers to 1.5cm (½in) across with pink anthers appear in late spring followed by dark-red fruit.
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Scented flowers - heavy scent best appreciated from a distance.
- No Preference - any soil except waterlogged.
- Rounded to broadly spreading
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
Available from £1.50
CRATAEGUS laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'
Midland hawthorn, Red May, Double crimson hawthorn
Available from £17.50
LAVANDULA angustifolia 'Hidcote'
Available from £6.50
ABUTILON 'Kentish Belle'
Flowering maple, Parlour maple
Available from £14.00