- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Montbretia
Well-known hybrids from mainly C. crocosmiiflora (Montbretia) and C. masoniorum.
Genus of 8 species of clump-forming, cormous perennials from grassland in South Africa.
The robust, invasive crocosmiiflora was developed in France and introduced to the UK in 1880. By 1911 it had become a garden escapee and has proliferated ever since. It can completely dominate a habitat to the exclusion of native plants and is listed on Schedule 9 of the Widlife and Countryside Act of 1981 making it an offence to cause it to grow in the wild.
Good to know - grown for the brightly coloured, funnel-shaped flowers on wiry stems. Excellent as cut flowers. Lift and divide congested clumps in spring to maintain vigour.
Pests & Diseases - red spider mites occasionally
Place of Origin - South Africa
Bulb/Corm - Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - clump-forming cormous perennials. Erect, linear-lance-shaped leaves, ribbed or pleated, 60-100cm (24-36in) long, mid-green, pale green or brownish green
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile. Humus-rich.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video