Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
DAPHNE bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'
Large and showy intensely fragrant purplish pink flowers
- Design your own garden: The scented garden
- Design your own garden: The woodland garden
- Gift Ideas: Christmas Gift Ideas
- Plants by colour: Pink
- Plants for specific types of garden: Scented Plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Poisonous Plants
- Plants beginning with 'D'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Good to know - all daphnes resent transplanting.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, leaf spot, grey mould, viruses.
Place of Origin - eastern Himalayas. Garden origin. 1982. Seedling of Gurkha. Raised by Alan Postill, propagator at Hilliers.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Height - 2-4m (6-12ft)
Spread - 1.5m (5ft)
Evergreen - elliptic to lance-shaped, leathery, dark-green leaves to 10cm (4in) long.
Tall Shrub - upright, rarely spreading habit. Flowers in terminal clusters of 7-15, larger than other varieties, to 2cm (¾in) across.
Scented flowers - intensely fragrant.
fertile well drained soil - humus rich but not dry - mulch to keep roots cool.
Neutral soil preferred - or slightly alkaline to slightly acidic
Caution, toxic if eaten, may cause skin allergy or irritant - These plants are toxic if eaten and may also cause a skin allergy, rash, irritation to eyes and skin.
Daphne - Care Guide
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5