- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Yarrow
Genus of about 85 species of mainly deciduous perennials from temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. Recognised as yarrow or milfoil and named by Linnaeus after Achilles most produce numerous daisy-like flat flowerheads. New cultivars and hybrids are appearing regularly. They combine well with grasses, make good cut-flowers and the seedheads are decorative in winter light. natives are represented by A. millefolium, yarrow and A. ptarmica, sneezeweed.
Good to know - valuable wildlife plant - hoverflies, bees, butterflies.
Medicinal Properties - the genus is named after Achilles, the Greek hero, who is said to have known of its wound healing properties.
Pests & Diseases - aphids possibly, powdery mildew.
Place of Origin - northern hemisphere.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - mainly deciduous perennials.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video