Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as North American persimmon, Possum apple
An elegant tree with rugged bark and good autumn colour
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - eastern USA.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Height - 15m (50ft)
Spread - 3m (10ft)
Deciduous - alternate, oval leaves 10-15cm (4-6in) long, narrowing at the base. Young leaves are reddish green, turning to glossy, dark-green as they mature and, sometimes, to orange and scarlet in the autumn.
Tree - short, slender trunk with spreading, sometimes pendulous, branches.
Full Sun - shelter from cold drying winds.
fertile well drained soil - loamy.
Rounded to broadly spreading
Diospyros - Growing Guide
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Clip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5