Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- April 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Tree echium
(pinnifolium) - single stemmed biennial with long green leaves and enormous spikes of purplish-blue flowers
- Chelsea Flower Show 2015 - Endangered Plants: Endangered
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016: Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017: Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Poisonous Plants
- Best Sellers
- Plants beginning with 'E'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Good to know - dramatic, fast-growing, tall spikes from second year. Will self-seed. Attractive to insects.
Pests & Diseases - slugs attack new growth - in greenhouse whiteflies and red spider mites can be a problem
Place of Origin - Canary Islands.
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouse - Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F)
Height - 4m (12ft)
Spread - 90cm (36in)
Evergreen - bristly, elliptic-lance-shaped , silver-hairy leaves to 7cm (3in) long
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rosette forming biennial or short lived perennial. Each rosette produces a spike 1.5-4m (5-12ft) long of funnel-shaped flowers with large bracts
Partial Shade - can tolerate light shade.
fertile well drained soil
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Echium - Growing Guide
Herbaceous Plants - Video Collection
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ECHIUM pininana
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.