Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Tree echium
(pinnifolium) - single stemmed biennial with long green leaves and enormous spikes of purplish-blue flowers
- Chelsea Flower Show 2015 - Endangered Plants: Endangered
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016: Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017: Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Poisonous Plants
- Plants beginning with 'E'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Good to know - dramatic, fast-growing, tall spikes from second year. Will self-seed. Attractive to insects.
Pests & Diseases - slugs attack new growth - in greenhouse whiteflies and red spider mites can be a problem
Place of Origin - Canary Islands.
Tender - cool or frost free greenhouse - Tolerant of low temperatures, but not surviving being frozen. Except in frost-free inner-city areas or coastal extremities requires glasshouse conditions. Plant can withstand temperatures down to 1°C (34°F)
Height - 4m (12ft)
Spread - 90cm (36in)
Evergreen - bristly, elliptic-lance-shaped , silver-hairy leaves to 7cm (3in) long
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rosette forming biennial or short lived perennial. Each rosette produces a spike 1.5-4m (5-12ft) long of funnel-shaped flowers with large bracts
Partial Shade - can tolerate light shade.
fertile well drained soil
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Echium - Growing Guide
Herbaceous Plants - Video Collection
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video
Buy Varieties of ECHIUM pininana
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.