- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Buckeye, Horse chestnut
The horse chestnut, or buckeye, is a genus of about 15 species of deciduous trees and shrubs from southeastern Europe, the Himalayas, eatern Asia and North America. Striking for their large flower spikes in candles most are too large for average gardens and are popular street and park trees. The common "hippocastanum" was brought into the UK from Turkey in the late 16th century. They provide nectar and pollen for insects, particularly bees and the fruit "conker" is eaten by mammals.
Good to know - specimen trees for large gardens. A. parviflora is suitable for a medium-sized garden. Large candles of attractive flowers and spiny or smooth-skinned fruit.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, canker, coral spot, leaf blotch.
Place of Origin - south eastern Europe, Himalayas, North America, eastern Asia.
Deciduous - trees and shrubs
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Harmful if eaten - These will give you an upset tummy, so please don't eat any of these.