- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers April 2017
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: African blue lily, Lily-of-the-Nile, Love flower.
All Flower AUG -OCT
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - evergreen varieties are from coastal areas, deciduous from moister, inland regions.
- Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, viruses.
- Place of Origin - southern Africa.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Evergreen - mostly.
- Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennials. Trumpet-shaped flowers above mounds of strap-like leaves.
- Full Sun - winter mulch in cold areas against frost damage.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - loam based compost for containers.