- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as African blue lily, Lily-of-the-Nile, Love flower
Genus of 6 species of vigorous perennials from southern Africa. Evergreen species are from coastal areas, deciduous ones from more moist mountain grassland in inland regions. Most hybrids are deciduous or semi-evergreen and are hardier than the species. The flowerheads form 3 groups, generally, upward-looking round umbels, pendent umbels and an intermediate form. They make long-lasting cut flowers and seed heads are decorative. They make attractive plants for large containers.
Good to know - evergreen varieties are from coastal areas, deciduous from moister, inland regions.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, viruses.
Place of Origin - southern Africa.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Evergreen - mostly.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump-forming perennials. Trumpet-shaped flowers above mounds of strap-like leaves.
Full Sun - winter mulch in cold areas against frost damage.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - loam based compost for containers.
- Planting location
- Planting and treatment
- Splitting / dividing pot grown plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Splitting / dividing plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video