Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as False castor oil plant, Japanese figleaf palm
Excellent glossy foliage and an attractive habit which makes for an architectural or feature plant
FATSIA japonica is also available as part of our 'The Cornish Woodland Collection' offer.
22 plants for £268.00 - saving you £33.00
- Design your own garden: The sub-tropical or mediterranean garden
- Plants for specific locations: Coastal and Windswept Locations – Coastal Plants
- Plants for specific types of garden: Architectural Plants
- Plants with particular characteristics: Specimen plants
- Pot Plants
- Shade Loving Plants: Shrubs and Climbers
- Plants beginning with 'F'
- Search Caerhays Garden Diary for more info & pictures
Good to know - ideal in a shaded, sheltered courtyard or as a container plant in a cool conservatory. Wildlife plant - insects.
Pests & Diseases - mealybugs and scale insects can be a problem in greenhouse - outside cold winds can cause dieback
Place of Origin - South Korea, Japan.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Height - 1.5-4m (5-12ft)
Spread - 1.5-4m (5-12ft)
Evergreen - leaves with 7-11, usually toothed, lobes. Leaves are dark-green, 15-40cm (6-16in) long.
Tall Shrub - spreading, suckering, rounded shrub. Creamy-white flowers on long stalks in autumn.
Fertile moist well-drained soil
Buy Varieties of FATSIA japonica
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5