News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy FATSIA japonica 'Variegata'
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought FATSIA japonica 'Variegata' also bought these...
FATSIA japonica 'Variegata'
False castor oil plant, Japanese figleaf palm
Rarer variegated form with white or gold edging to the leaves
- Good to know - ideal in a shaded, sheltered courtyard or as a container plant in a cool conservatory. Wildlife plant - insects.
- Pests & Diseases - mealybugs and scale insects can be a problem in greenhouse - outside cold winds can cause dieback
- Place of Origin - South Korea, Japan.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height and Spread - 1.5 - 4m (5-12ft)
- Evergreen - 7-11 lobed, usually toothed, leaves 15-40cm (6-16in) long.
- Tall Shrub - spreading, suckering, rounded shrub. Creamy-white flowers on long stalks in autumn.
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil