Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
FICUS carica 'Brown Turkey'
Commonly known as Common fig
Free-fruiting fig with a good yellow autumn colour. The fruits have purple-brown skins when ripe and are rich and sugary which makes this an excellent dessert variety
Good to know - best grown trained against a sunny wall or fence.
Pests & Diseases - trouble free if grown outside.
Place of Origin - western Asia, eastern Mediterranean.
Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
Height - 3m (10ft)
Spread - 4m (12ft)
Deciduous - rounded 3- or 5- lobed leaves 10-24cm (4-10in) long.
Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit
Tree - or tall shrub with spreading head. Pear-shaped receptacles develop into single fruit to 10cm (4in) long, green when young, then dark-green, purple or dark-brown when mature.
Zero Rated Item - No VAT on this plant
Against a wall - keep roots restricted to encourage fruiting
Full Sun - shelter from cold, drying winds
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich with plenty of leaf mould.
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
Rounded to broadly spreading
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Clip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Afterplant - Organic plant food
This organic plant food from Empathy contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Easy to use at any time of the year to feed or top dress your plants.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5