- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Quinine bush, Silk tassel bush.
Long grey-green catkins (male)
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - introduced into UK by David Douglas in 1828.
- Pests & Diseases - fungal leaf spot.
- Place of Origin - western USA.
- Hardy - average winter - Hardy through most of the UK apart from inland valleys, at altitude and central/northerly locations. May suffer foliage damage and stem dieback in harsh winters in cold gardens. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -10°C (14°F)
- Height - 4m (12ft)
- Spread - 4m (12ft)
- Evergreen - oblong-elliptic, wavy-margined leaves to 8cm (3in) long, glossy, grey-green to matt, dark-green.
- Tall Shrub - dense upright shrub or small tree. Pendent, grey-green catkins, the males 15-20cm (6-8in) long from midwinter to early spring.
- Full Sun - shelter from cold winds in frosty areas.
- Partial Shade
- fertile well drained soil
Buy Varieties of GARRYA elliptica
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
GARRYA elliptica 'James Roof'
Silk tassel bush, Quinine bush
Available from £16.50
Available from £14.00
CEANOTHUS 'Autumnal Blue'
California lilac, Redroot
Available from £13.00
COTINUS coggygria 'Royal Purple'
Purple smoke bush, Venetian sumach, Wig tree
Available from £16.00