- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers July 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Bugle.
Genus of about 40 species of annuals and clump-forming or spreading evergreen or semi-evergreen perennials found in shady habitats throughout temperate Europe and Asia. Bugles are excellent for ground cover. The UK native, reptans, is invasive but selected cultivars make attractive, insect-friendly carpets. Historically it was also known as "carpenter's herb" for its supposed ability to stem bleeding.
- Pests & Diseases - powdery mildew.
- Place of Origin - Europe, Asia.
- Ground Cover - These plants are typically low growing and spread quickly to inhibit weed growth on areas of bare soil - excellent for ground cover.
- Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - annuals and clump- forming or spreading evergreen or semi evergreen perennials
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil