- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Chocolate vine
Genus of about 5 species of deciduous or semi-evergreen twining climbers from forest margins in eastern Asia. The common name comes from the vanilla/chocolate spicy scent. It has become naturalised in the eastern USA and is hardy in milder parts of the UK
Good to know - require warm springs and long, hot summers to fruit well.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - eastern Asia.
Climber - Some of these climbing plants will need trellis or wire supports if grown on walls or fences. Other grow aerial roots and are self-clinging - twining habit. Produces unusual sausage-shaped, fleshy, purple fruits.
Deciduous - or semi evergreen.
Against a wall - or into tree or over pergola.
Fertile moist well-drained soil