- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Silk tree
The silk tree. Genus of about 150 species of deciduous trees, shrubs and climbers from poor soils in tropical and sub-tropical areas from Africa and Asia to Australia. The attractive, wispy flowers, amongst filigree foliage, appear on plants only a few years old and are a nectar source for bees.
Good to know - grown for their filigree foliage and flowerheads with very long stamens on young plants.
Pests & Diseases - red spider mite, whitefly - more usually under glass - vascular wilt outside.
Place of Origin - tropical and sub tropical areas of Africa, Asia to Australia.
Will grow outside in milder locations - This could include plants which would survive happily in a greenhouse or conservatory if not in a mild location. If you have a sheltered spot in your garden then it may do well here. - Loam based compost for greenhouse - plenty of light - shade from hot sun.
Deciduous - trees, shrubs and climbers. Grown for filigree foliage and attractive flowerheads with protruding stamens.
fertile well drained soil