- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers March 2017
- March Sale
- Mother's Day Offers
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Alder.
Information - click to hide
- Pests & Diseases - Phytophthora root rot.
- Place of Origin - northern hemisphere.
- Deciduous - alternate, simple, toothed leaves. Male (longer) and female catkins form on the same tree. Females form cone-like fruit after pollination.
- Full Sun
- fertile well drained soil
Buy Varieties of ALNUS
Commonly known as: Italian alder.
conical-shaped tree with bright green glossy leaves
Commonly known as: Black alder, Common alder.
yellow catkins in March, suitable as a windbreak especially in waterlogged areas
Commonly known as: European alder, Grey alder.
a very hardy plant which will prosper in the coldest, wettest position
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Vermin & Pest Control
Essential small tree protection from vermin and strimming. This pack includes 5 x 90cm canes and 5 x 90cm spiral guards. Includes instructions.