- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Gladdon, Stinking gladwyn, Stinking iris.
Dull purple flowers 2 feet in height
|30 - 90cm (12-36in)|
to 50cm (20in)
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - a native iris. Pollinated by bumble bees and long-tongued flies. Good for seaside gardens and can be naturalized in hedge bottoms or wooded corners. Crushed leaves emit an unpleasant, meaty scent.
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - southern and western Europe, Azores, Canary Islands, northern Africa.
- Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - 30 - 90cm (12-36in)
- Spread - to 50cm (20in)
- Bulb/Corm - Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - vigorous, rhizomatous, beardless perennial. Flowers, tinged with yellow, are 5-7cm (2-3in) across and are followed by decorative seed pods splitting to reveal bright orange seeds
- Evergreen - tufts of tough, dark-green leaves to 75cm (30in) long.
- Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Neutral to Alkaline Soil
- Caution, toxic if eaten, may cause skin allergy or irritant - These plants are toxic if eaten and may also cause a skin allergy, rash, irritation to eyes and skin.
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
Available from £17.50
Available from £10.50
Butcher's broom, Box holly, Kneeholly
Available from £14.00
EUPHORBIA amygdaloides var robbiae
Available from £9.00