- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Peruvian lily, St. Martin's flower
Genus of about 50 species of perennials from mountain screes and grassland in South America. The flashy tubers spread to form clumps. The flowers are long-lasting for a vase and should be plucked rather than cut though care must be taken as contact with the foliage can aggravate skin allergies.
Good to know - grown for their showy, funnel-shaped flowers. Good as cut flowers.
Pests & Diseases - slugs, viruses, red spider mite in greenhouse.
Place of Origin - South America.
Tuberous - clump-forming, fleshy-rooted perennial with narrow, lance-shaped leaves 7-12cm (3-5in) long on erect stems. Showy, funnel-shaped flowers with 6 tepals throughout the summer.
Full Sun - sheltered site
Fertile moist well-drained soil
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.