- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers March 2017
- March Sale
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Red hot poker, Torch lily, Tritoma.
Information - click to hide
- Good to know - wildlife plant. Attractive to bees.
- Pests & Diseases - slugs, snails, thrips, violet root.
- Place of Origin - southern and tropical Africa.
- Bulb/Corm - Bulb/Corm or rhizomatous perennial - rhizomatous perennials. Erect, usually dense, spike-like racemes 5-40cm (2-16in) long of tubular or cylindrical flowers.
- Deciduous - leaves usually thin, grass-like,10-100cm (3-39in) long.
- Evergreen - leaves usually broad, keeled or strap-shaped to 1.5m (5ft) long.
- Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch.
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich, preferably sandy.