- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers April 2017
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Related Products
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Large and specimen sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants, many are also very rare. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a large or a specimen plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
Large plants are normally 2-3 year old grafts, they vary in size from less than 2 feet to 4 feet, potted in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots.
Specimen plants are normally 3-5 year old grafts, and are between 4 feet and 8 feet in height potted in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots.
Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a large sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
- Good to know - an ancient genus named after Pierre Magnol, French botanist, 1638-1715. Evolving before bees plants were pollinated by beetles. Grown for their showy, solitary, fragrant flowers. These can be cup-shaped, saucer-shaped, goblet-shaped or star-shaped and often appear before the leaves. Colours range from pure white to white with blushes or stains of pink or purple, rich pink and purple, and various shades of yellow. Cone-like fruit is produced in autumn on more mature specimens.
- Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
- Place of Origin - Himalayas, eastern and southeastern Asia, eastern North America to tropical North and South America
- You Tube Video - View Timelapse Magnolia 'Royal Crown'
- Tall Shrub
- Full Sun - shelter from strong winds.
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus- rich.
- Neutral to acid soil
- Broadly columnar
- Broadly conical