- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- April 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Lily tree, Yulan
MAGNOLIAS, named after the French botanist Pierre Magnol, are an ancient genus and it is thought that pollination was by beetles as the trees appeared before bees. Fossilised remains from the family are 95 million years old.
The main centre of distribution is eastern and southeastern Asia with a secondary centre in eastern North America, Central America, the West Indies and South America.
Large and specimen sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants, many are also very rare. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a large or a specimen plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
Large plants are normally 2-3 year old grafts, they vary in size from less than 2 feet to 4 feet, potted in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots.
Specimen plants are normally 3-5 year old grafts, and are between 4 feet and 8 feet in height potted in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots.
Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a large sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
Place of Origin - garden origin. China
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Height - 7m (22ft)
Spread - 6m (20ft)
Tree - fast-growing.
Full Sun - shelter from strong winds
Scented flowers - lemon scented
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Rounded to broadly spreading
Flower Colour - White
Yellow - yellow in bud opening creamy white
Flower Shape - Cup-shaped
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Clip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video