- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2016
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2016
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
MAGNOLIA 'Gold Star'
A vigorous stellata hybrid which has attractive soft yellow buds and stellata-shaped flowers which fade to creamy-white. Very hardy
Buy MAGNOLIA 'Gold Star'
- Good to know - M. acuminata var. subcordata 'Miss Honeybee' x M. stellata 'Rubra'
- Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
- Place of Origin - USA. 1990. Phil Savage, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
- Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
- Height - in metres - 7m (22ft)
- Spread - in metres - 5m (15ft)
- Deciduous - elliptic to oval, mid-green leaves to 18cm (7in) long, reddish bronze when young. Very attractive leaves for a magnolia.
- Tall Shrub - fast-growing shrub or small tree.
- Full Sun - shelter from strong winds.
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Neutral to acid soil
- Rounded to broadly spreading
- Flower Colour - Yellow
Flower Shape -
Star-shaped - to 10cm (4in) across with up to 14 strap-shaped tepals.
Final Tree Size
Effective control of slugs and snails
Ericaceous Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser
Rootgrow - Large - 360g
Rootgrow - Medium - 150g
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 0.9 kg
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 2.5 kg
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 4.5 kg
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought MAGNOLIA 'Gold Star' also bought these...