- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- NEW - Light weight garden pots & planters
- Non-Herbaceous Sale
- Late Summer Flowering Sale
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2016
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2016
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
LARGE and SPECIMEN sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants. Many are also very rare. LARGE plants are 2-3 year old grafts and SPECIMEN plants 3-5 year old grafts. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a LARGE or a SPECIMEN plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
LARGE plants may vary in size according to variety (and also the time of year) from less than 2 feet to 4 feet in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots. SPECIMEN plants are usually (but not always) between 4 feet and 8 feet in height in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots. Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a LARGE sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
- Good to know - M. acuminata x M. denudata
- Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
- Place of Origin - David Leach, Ohio, USA.
- Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height - in metres - 5-8m (15-25ft)
- Full Sun - shelter from strong winds
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Neutral to acid soil
- Rounded to broadly spreading
- Flower Colour - Yellow
- Flower Shape - Cup-shaped - upright flowers of strong substance open almost flat to 17-20cm (7-8in) across.