- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers December 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
MAGNOLIAS, named after the French botanist Pierre Magnol, are an ancient genus and it is thought that pollination was by beetles as the trees appeared before bees. Fossilised remains from the family are 95 million years old.
The main centre of distribution is eastern and southeastern Asia with a secondary centre in eastern North America, Central America, the West Indies and South America.
Large and specimen sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants, many are also very rare. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a large or a specimen plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
Large plants are normally 2-3 year old grafts, they vary in size from less than 2 feet to 4 feet, potted in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots.
Specimen plants are normally 3-5 year old grafts, and are between 4 feet and 8 feet in height potted in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots.
Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a large sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
Place of Origin - Yunnan Province, China. Burma. Southeast Tibet
Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
Partial Shade - prefers dappled shade. Shelter from strong winds.
Scented flowers - highly scented.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil
Rounded to broadly spreading
Flower Colour - Yellow - to 7.5cm (3in) across
Flower Shape - Cup-shaped
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading