- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers July 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Large and specimen sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants, many are also very rare. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a large or a specimen plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
Large plants are normally 2-3 year old grafts, they vary in size from less than 2 feet to 4 feet, potted in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots.
Specimen plants are normally 3-5 year old grafts, and are between 4 feet and 8 feet in height potted in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots.
Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a large sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
Magnolias, named after French botanist Pierre Magnol, are an ancient genus and it is thought that pollination was by beetles as the trees appeared before bees. The main centre of distribution is eastern and southeastern Asia with a secondary centre in eastern North America, Central America, the West Indies and South America.
- Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
- Place of Origin - Yunnan Province, China. Burma. Southeast Tibet
- Half hardy - unheated greenhouse / mild winter - Hardy in coastal and relatively mild parts of the UK except in severe winters and a risk from sudden (early) frosts. May be hardy elsewhere with wall shelter or good micro-climate. Likely to be damaged or killed in cold winters. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -5°C (23°F)
- Tall Shrub
- Partial Shade - prefers dappled shade. Shelter from strong winds.
- Scented flowers - highly scented.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Neutral to acid soil
- Rounded to broadly spreading
- Flower Colour - Yellow - to 7.5cm (3in) across
- Flower Shape - Cup-shaped