- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
MAGNOLIAS, named after the French botanist Pierre Magnol, are an ancient genus and it is thought that pollination was by beetles as the trees appeared before bees. Fossilised remains from the family are 95 million years old.
The main centre of distribution is eastern and southeastern Asia with a secondary centre in eastern North America, Central America, the West Indies and South America.
Large and specimen sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants, many are also very rare. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a large or a specimen plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
Large plants are normally 2-3 year old grafts, they vary in size from less than 2 feet to 4 feet, potted in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots.
Specimen plants are normally 3-5 year old grafts, and are between 4 feet and 8 feet in height potted in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots.
Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a large sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
Good to know - cross between M. liliiflora 'Nigra' and M. stellata 'Rosea'
Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
Place of Origin - U.S. National Arboretum. Mid 1950's.
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Height - 5m (15ft)
Spread - 5m (15ft)
Deciduous - ovate, mid green leaves to 15cm (6in) long turn yellow to bronze in autumn.
Tall Shrub - star-shaped flowers to 10cm (4in) across appear shortly before the foliage.
Full Sun - shelter from strong winds.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.
- Cultivation of Magnolias
- Pruning Magnolias - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning shoots on grafted rootstock - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Soil Conditions
- Planting Locations
- Planting a magnolia - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pests and Diseases
- Magnolia Slug Protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading