- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers January 2017
- January Sale
- Valentine's Offers
- All offers and promotions
- Magnolia 'Sweet Valentine' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £4 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Rhododendron Wine and Roses – Save £6 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Magnolia 'Sweetheart' - Save £11 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
LARGE and SPECIMEN sized magnolias are almost all grafted plants. Many are also very rare. LARGE plants are 2-3 year old grafts and SPECIMEN plants 3-5 year old grafts. Different Magnolia varieties grow at very different speeds and therefore the size of a LARGE or a SPECIMEN plant and the exact pot size it is delivered in can vary markedly for plants of identical age.
LARGE plants may vary in size according to variety (and also the time of year) from less than 2 feet to 4 feet in 3, 5 or 7.5 litre pots. SPECIMEN plants are usually (but not always) between 4 feet and 8 feet in height in 10, 15 or 20 litre pots. Magnolias do grow very quickly in a single season but do please ring to check the exact size of your chosen variety if you so wish. If we are unable to offer a LARGE sized plant we may well also have smaller plants at a lower price.
- Good to know - cross between M. liliiflora 'Nigra' and M. stellata 'Rosea'
- Pests & Diseases - scale insects, honey fungus, coral spot.
- Place of Origin - U.S. National Arboretum. Mid 1950's.
- Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height and Spread - 5m (15ft)
- Deciduous - ovate, mid green leaves to 15cm (6in) long turn yellow to bronze in autumn.
- Tall Shrub - star-shaped flowers to 10cm (4in) across appear shortly before the foliage.
- Full Sun - shelter from strong winds.
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich.