- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Commonly known as Windflower
Genus of about 120 species of variable perennials from a wide range of habitats in temperate regions mainly in the northern hemisphere. They have rhizomatous, tuberous, fleshy or fibrous rootstocks and can be grouped into spring-, spring- and summer- and autumn-flowering species. larger species are suitable for a border, smaller ones for a woodland garden or rock garden. The UK native, nemerosa (windflower, wood anemone) is an indicator of ancient woodland. It spreads by rhizomes in a remarkably slow way, some 2m in 100 years. It attracts hoverflies which are thought to be its main pollinator.
Good to know - wildlife plant (single forms) - insects.
Pests & Diseases - caterpillars, slugs, leaf eelworms, leaf spot, powdery mildew, anemone smut.
Place of Origin - wide range of habitats mainly in northern hemisphere, southern hemisphere.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - rhizomatous and tuberous perennials.
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video