- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Plants on Sale
- Flowering & Top Sellers October 2015
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2015
- Burncoose Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Log In / Register
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
History: Home >
Large white flowers and edible brown fruits
Buy MESPILUS germanica
- Good to know - widely eaten in the past. Edible after bletting (softening by exposure to frost or long storage). Good with cheese as a dessert. Wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects.
- Pests & Diseases - aphids, caterpillars, brown rot, powdery mildew.
- Place of Origin - southeastern Europe, southwestern Asia.
- Hardy - very cold Winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
- Height - in metres - 6m (20ft)
- Spread - in metres - 8m (25ft)
- Deciduous - alternate, lance-shaped to oblong-oval dark-green leaves to 15cm (6in) long, turning yellow in autumn.
- Fruit - Plants which produce an edible or ornamental fruit
- Tree - or tall shrub. Flowers to 5cm (2in) across are followed by spherical, fleshy fruits to 5cm (2in) or more across.
- Zero Rated Item - No VAT on this plant
- Full Sun - or dappled shade.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
Rounded to broadly spreading
Final Tree Size
Rootgrow - Large - 360g
(360gram sachet - inc c&p) £12.00
Rootgrow - Medium - 150g
(150gram sachet - inc c&p) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 0.9 kg
(0.9 kg - c&p inc) £6.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 2.5 kg
(2.5 kg - c&p inc) £10.00
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 4.5 kg
(4.5 kg - c&p inc) £16.00
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought MESPILUS germanica also bought these...