- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2016
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2016
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Rare Plant List
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Dawn redwood, Shui-hsa, Water fir
conical tree with ascending branches and fibrous orange bark which prefers a boggy or wet area. Soft light green leaves especially in spring
Buy METASEQUOIA glyptostroboides
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - China (northwestern Hubei).
- Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
- Height - in metres - 20-40m (70-130ft)
- Spread - in metres - 5m (15ft)
- Conifer - produces light-brown female cones 2cm (¾in) long on stalks 2-4cm (¾ to 1½in) long and small, pendent male cones to 1.5cm (halfinch) long in the upper crown.
- Deciduous - leaves are 2cm (¾in) or more on seedlings, to 1.5cm (½in) long on mature trees. They have 2 light-green bands beneath.
- Full Sun
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - on drier sites growth slows after 10m (30ft).
Final Tree Size
Buy Varieties of METASEQUOIA glyptostroboides
Rootgrow - Large - 360g
Rootgrow - Medium - 150g
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 0.9 kg
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 2.5 kg
Vitax Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser 4.5 kg
Other Suggested Plants
Customers who bought METASEQUOIA glyptostroboides also bought these...