- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers May 2017
- Chelsea 2017 Pollinators Sale
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Dawn redwood, Shui-hsa, Water fir.
conical tree with ascending branches and fibrous orange bark which prefers a boggy or wet area. Soft light green leaves especially in spring
Information - click to hide
- Pests & Diseases - none
- Place of Origin - China (northwestern Hubei).
- Very hardy - Hardy in the severest continental climates including exposed upland locations in the UK. Plant can withstand temperatures < -20 (-4°F)
- Height - 20-40m (70-130ft)
- Spread - 5m (15ft)
- Conifer - produces light-brown female cones 2cm (¾in) long on stalks 2-4cm (¾ to 1½in) long and small, pendent male cones to 1.5cm (halfinch) long in the upper crown.
- Deciduous - leaves are 2cm (¾in) or more on seedlings, to 1.5cm (½in) long on mature trees. They have 2 light-green bands beneath.
- Full Sun
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - on drier sites growth slows after 10m (30ft).
Buy Varieties of METASEQUOIA glyptostroboides
Items you may also need...
Other Suggested Plants
Swamp cypress, Bald cypress, Deciduous cypress
Available from £16.50
Coast redwood, California redwood
Available from £14.50
Available from £12.00
CRYPTOMERIA japonica 'Elegans'
Available from £11.50