- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Columbine, Granny's bonnet
Another decorative from cottage gardens with attractive foliage which appears in clumps in early spring.
Genus of about 70 species of clump-forming perennials from meadows, open woodland and mountainous areas in the northern hemisphere.
The UK native columbine A. vulgaris, with short, hooked spurs as opposed to the longer, straighter ones in the garden varieties, occurs as a blue or white flower but many garden varieties have spread into the wild.
Good to know - wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects. Single flowers.
Pests & Diseases - sawflies, caterpillars, aphids, leafminers, powdery mildew.
Place of Origin - northern hemishpere.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump- forming perennials
Fertile moist well-drained soil
May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video