- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Columbine, Granny's bonnet.
Genus of about 70 species of clump-forming perennials from meadows, open woodland and mountainous areas in the northern hemisphere. The UK native columbine A. vulgaris, with short, hooked spurs as opposed to the longer, straighter ones in the garden varieties, occurs as a blue or white flower but many garden varieties have spread into the wild.
- Good to know - wildlife plant - nectar and pollen for insects. Single flowers.
- Pests & Diseases - sawflies, caterpillars, aphids, leafminers, powdery mildew.
- Place of Origin - northern hemishpere.
- Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - clump- forming perennials
- Full Sun
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil
- May cause skin allergy or irritant - Having skin or eye contact with these plants could result in an allergic reaction, burning or rash.