- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Angelica tree
Genus of about 40 species of deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs and rhizomatous perennials. They originate in southern and eastern Asia, Malaysia, and North, Central and South America. Trees and shrubs are vigorous growers and are suitable for shady areas in large gardens, adding an exotic look. Young shoots feature in Asian cuisine and the black berries are favoured by birds which could result in the species becoming invasive. Bees and flies are also attracted to the flowers.
Good to know - good for shady borders and woodland.
Pests & Diseases - aphids
Place of Origin - southern and eastern Asia, Malayasia, North, Central and South America.
Deciduous - and evergreen shrubs, trees, rhizomatous perennials
Partial Shade - open or partially shaded site. Shelter from winds which damage leaves.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich.