- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Angelica tree.
Genus of about 40 species of deciduous and evergreen trees and shrubs and rhizomatous perennials. They originate in southern and eastern Asia, Malaysia, and North, Central and South America. Trees and shrubs are vigorous growers and are suitable for shady areas in large gardens, adding an exotic look. Young shoots feature in Asian cuisine and the black berries are favoured by birds which could result in the species becoming invasive. Bees and flies are also attracted to the flowers.
- Good to know - good for shady borders and woodland.
- Pests & Diseases - aphids
- Place of Origin - southern and eastern Asia, Malayasia, North, Central and South America.
- Deciduous - and evergreen shrubs, trees, rhizomatous perennials
- Partial Shade - open or partially shaded site. Shelter from winds which damage leaves.
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus rich.