- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of 19 species of evergreen, coniferous trees from which the Chilean pine or Monkey puzzle is the only one suitable for outdoors in the UK. Easily recognised by the thick, triangular pointed leaves and the habit of losing lower branches with age and often seen as a front-garden tree planted beneath power lines. The seeds, piñones, are edible large pine nuts and ideas have been advanced about creating plantations in the west of the UK. Cropping would commence after about 40 years and yield would be substantial given that life expectancy of the tree is 1000 years...
Pests & Diseases - honey fungus.
Place of Origin - New Guinea, Australia, New Hebrides, New Caledonia, Norfolk Island, South America.
Fertile moist well-drained soil