- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Strawberry tree.
Genus of about 14 species of evergreen trees and shrubs. Their attractive bark and growth forms make them characterful specimens. They originate from Portugal to Turkey, Cyprus and Lebanon and from western North America to Mexico and Guatemala, mainly from rocky habitats. Unedo also hails from southwestern Ireland with its label Killarney strawberry tree. Unedo is said to translate as "eat one only", an observation by Pliny on its less than pleasant taste, though this is transformed in its incarnation as "Aguardente de Medronhos", a fiery fruit brandy from Portugal.
- Good to know - good for woodland gardens or as specimen trees.
- Pests & Diseases - aphids, leaf spot.
- Place of Origin - Portugal, Turkey, Cyprus, Lebanon, western North America to Mexico.
- Evergreen - trees and shrubs
- Full Sun - sheltered spot.
- fertile well drained soil - humus- rich.