- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers August 2017
- Non-Herbaceous Summer Sale 30% off
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as: Sea pink, Thrift.
Genus of about 80 species of hummocky or cushion-forming evergreens. The well-known sea pink, or thrift as depicted on the 1937 10-sided threepenny bit, treasured as a memory of coastal holidays. Distributed widely on sea cliffs and in mountainous areas.
- Good to know - good for rock gardens, troughs or for the front of a border.
- Pests & Diseases - under glass - red spider mites, aphids.
- Place of Origin - Turkey, Europe, northern Africa. North and South America.
- Alpine or Rock Plant - These plants prefer well drained soil and are generally dwarf in habit. - cushion-forming perennials.
- Full Sun
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - will also tolerate less fertile soil. Good drainage is required.