- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Mugwort, Wormwood
Genus of about 390 species of deciduous and evergreen shrubs, perennials and annuals known commonly as mugwort, sagebrush and wormwood. They usually have aromatic silver or grey leaves and flowers of little interest. The foliage makes a useful foil for more colourful subjects. Most species tolerate hard pruning to maintain a compact form. Family includes tarragon (A. dracunculus). A.absinthium (absinthe, wormwood) was originally used to flavour vermouth (from the German wermut - wormwood)
Good to know
Medicinal Properties - has been used as a tonic, an appetite stimulant, for reducing fevers and as a worming formulation.
Pests & Diseases - aphids, gall.
Place of Origin - northern hemisphere, South Africa, western South America.
Herbaceous - Early in the year, typically January till end of March, herbaceous plants might be supplied in 9cm pots to ensure timely despatch. - shrubs,perennials and annuals. Grown for variously shaped, usually aromatic silver- coloured leaves.
fertile well drained soil
- Dividing Herbaceous Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing Summer Perennials - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dividing summer flowering Hemerocallis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Supporting Plants - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading meconopsis - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Dead heading Delphiniums - Video Tip ondemand_video