- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Genus of about 16 species of evergreen or deciduous, rhizomatous, tufted perennials from open habitats mainly in New Zealand and South Australia. They are significant in Maori culture, previously used in medicine roasted and pulped as a poultice for boils and abscesses and as a foodstuff, the thick fleshy roots cooked in an earth oven and tasting of potato.
Pests & Diseases - slugs damage new growth.
Place of Origin - New Zealand, South Australia.
Evergreen - or deciduous, rhizomatous perennials with linear to lance-shaped leaves and nodding, star-shaped flowers in summer.
Full Sun - base of warm wall ideal in frosty areas.
fertile well drained soil - with some grit.