- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- January 2018
- January Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Helleborus ‘Anna’s Red’ for £26 inc c&p & gift wrap saving £11.00
- Rosmarinus officinalis 'Severn Sea' – 1 for £25.00 inc c&p and gift wrap saving £6.00
- Calycanthus Venus - Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Mahonia Soft Caress – Save £7 on combined gift wrap & delivery offer
- Agapanthus Strawberry Ice delivered for £25.00 inc C&P & gift wrap saving £7.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
Genus of about 16 species of evergreen or deciduous, rhizomatous, tufted perennials from open habitats mainly in New Zealand and South Australia. They are significant in Maori culture, previously used in medicine roasted and pulped as a poultice for boils and abscesses and as a foodstuff, the thick fleshy roots cooked in an earth oven and tasting of potato.
Pests & Diseases - slugs damage new growth.
Place of Origin - New Zealand, South Australia.
Evergreen - or deciduous, rhizomatous perennials with linear to lance-shaped leaves and nodding, star-shaped flowers in summer.
Full Sun - base of warm wall ideal in frosty areas.
fertile well drained soil - with some grit.