Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Blackthorn, Sloe
Good to know - UK native. Wildlife plant - nectar for insects, nesting site for birds. Suckers freely. Traditional wood for the Irish shillelagh. The fruit for sloe gin.
Pests & Diseases - honey fungus
Place of Origin - Europe to Russia (western Siberia), Mediterranean
Hardy - very cold winter - Hardy in all of UK and northern Europe. Plant can possibly withstand temperatures down to -20°C (-4°F)
Height - 5m (15ft)
Spread - 4m (12ft)
Deciduous - elliptic to obovate, mid- to deep-green leaves to 5cm (2in) long.
Tree - dense, bushy, spiny shrub or small tree. Produces solitary, rarely paired, flowers to 1.5cm (½in) across before the leaves. Glaucous black fruit to fruit to 1.5cm (½in) across.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - moderately fertile
Rounded to broadly spreading
Flower Shape - Bowl-shaped
Trees - Care Guide
- How to plant a tree - Video Tip ondemand_video
- How to plant a tree
- Checking ties - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Restaking fallen young tree - Video Clip ondemand_video
- Spring pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Removing side shoots - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Deer protection - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Spraying - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Tree Survey - Video Tip ondemand_video
Common hawthorn, Quickthorn, Bread and cheese, May
Available from £1.25
Available from £14.50
CHAENOMELES speciosa 'Nivalis'
Flowering quince, Japanese quince
Available from £15.00
CRATAEGUS laevigata 'Paul's Scarlet'
Midland hawthorn, Red May, Double crimson hawthorn
Available from £17.50
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow mycorrhizal fungi
Recommended by the RHS. Contains Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi. Suitable for all trees and shrubs (except rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers, cranberries and blueberries)
2 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
All-purpose Seaweed Stimulant
All-purpose organic concentrated seaweed feed that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, except acid loving plants. Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™.
Vermin & Pest Control
Essential small tree protection from vermin and strimming. This pack includes 5 x 90cm canes and 5 x 90cm spiral guards. Includes instructions.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.