- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- June 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Commonly known as Giant reed, Indian grass
Genus of 2 or 3 species of evergreen, rhizomatous, perennial grasses fro ditches and riversides from warm-temperate regions of the northern hemisphere. As with most giant canes or grasses much use has been made historically. Donax is used for the manufacture of reeds for woodwind instruments. It was used by Egyptians for wrapping the dead and has been used for roofing, the high silica content making it durable. It is also a candidate for use as biofuel though its invasiveness causes problems.
Good to know - for best foliage cut back to base each year. For flowers cut back stems after second year.
Pests & Diseases - none.
Place of Origin - warm-temperate regions of northern hemisphere.
Evergreen - thick reed-like stems and terminal, feathery flower panicles.
Ornamental Grasses - grown for its bamboo-like foliage.
Full Sun - protect from strong winds
No Preference - thrives in moist conditions.