Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- May 2018
- All offers and promotions
- Shop by category
- Full category list
- Planting Colour Combinations
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - New and unusual plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2018 - Stand Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Featured pollinator plants
- Chelsea Flower Show 2017 - Plant List
- Chelsea Flower Show 2016 - Best Selling Plants
- Design your own garden
- Plants by colour
- Plants for specific locations
- Burncoose Specialities
- Plants for specific types of garden
- Plants with particular characteristics
- Gift Ideas
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
RHODODENDRON 'Purple Splendour'
Rich purplish-blue flowers, very hardy
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of Origin - garden origin. UK. 1958. H. Waterer, Knaphill, Surrey
Hardy - cold winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/northern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
Height - 3m (10ft)
Spread - 3m (10ft)
Evergreen - medium leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) long
Tall Shrub - produces trusses of about 15 frilled, funnel-shaped flowers to 8cm (3in) long.
Full Sun - shelter from strong winds
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
Flower Colour - Purple - Shades of purple/mauve/lilac/violet - purplish blue with a purple-black basal mark inside.
Rhododendron - Care Guide
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
Rhododendron - Propagation
- Growing from seed
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow Ericoid mycorrhizal fungi
This specially adapted Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi will boost the growth of acid-loving plants like rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers and blueberries. It contains ericoid and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, which are found in poor acidic soils where ericaceous plants naturally grow.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Ericaceous Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser
Specially developed organic concentrated seaweed feed for ericaceous plants that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™ Ericoid.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5