News and Events
Help and Advice
Buy RHODODENDRON 'Sappho'
Other Suggested Plants
Mauve in bud opening pure white with purple blotch, very hardy
- Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
- Place of Origin - garden origin. UK. 1867. J. Waterer, Knaphill, Surrey.
- Hardy - cold Winter - Hardy in most places throughout the UK even in severe winters. May not withstand open/exposed sites or central/nothern locations. Plant can withstand temperatures down to -15°C (5°F)
- Height and Spread - 3m (10ft)
- Evergreen - medium-sized leaves 5-15cm (2-6in) long.
- Tall Shrub - free-flowering shrub. Produces high-domed trusses of funnel-shaped flowers 7-9cm (3-3½in) long.
- Full Sun - prefers full sun. Shelter from strong winds
- Partial Shade
- Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
- Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH4.5 - 5.5
- Flower Colour - White - mauve buds open to white flowers with a purple blotch