- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- Flowering & Top Sellers November 2017
- Winter Sale - 20% off
- 50% off Winter Clearance
- All offers and promotions
- Camellia - two year old plant for £30 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £7.00
- Abeliophyllum distichum - 1 for £28.50, gift wrap & c&p included, SAVE £6.00
- Sarcococca 'Purple Stem' - 1 for £28.50 saving £5.00, inc gift wrap and c&p
- Chimonanthus praecox - 1 large plant for £43.50, gift wrap, c&p included, a saving of £6.00
- Daphne 'Perfume Princess' gift wrapped and delivered for £33.50 saving £6.00
- Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill' - 1 small plant for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, SAVE £10.00
- Helleborus niger 'Christmas Rose' for £25.00 inc gift wrap and c&p Saving £5.00
- Mahonia x media Winter Sun - 1 for £29.50 inc gift wrap and c&p, saving £5.00
- Seeds - Save £3.00 when you buy 3 packs
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2017
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
History: Home >
Commonly known as Rose bay
NEW LIME TOLERANT INKARHO RHODODENDRONS - This year we are offering just a few varieties as a trial to test their popularity with our customers.
Scented Rhododendrons suitable for conservatory or cool greenhouse are marked with an asterisk.
Genus of more than 1000 species of evergreen and deciduous trees and shrubs from Europe, Asia, Australasia and North America, particularly southwestern China, Tibet, Burma, northern India and New Guinea.
The problem rhododendron, vigorous hybrids of R. ponticum, which is colonizing large areas has been given the name R x superponticum and is subject to EU legislation under the "Invasive Alien Species Regulation".
Good to know - syn. Azalea. Shallow planting essential. Deadhead carefully where practical to promote vegetative growth.
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, powdery mildew, bud blast, honey fungus
Place of Origin - Europe, Asia, Australasia, North America
Greenhouse or Conservatory - Not the sort of plants to be grown outside where there are likely to be frosts. These plants need to be grown in a conservatory or cool greenhouse or at least brought inside for the winter
Partial Shade - most large-leaved species and hybrids require dappled shade.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH 4.5 - 5.5
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
- Growing from seed
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'