Plants by mail order since 1984, over 4100 plants online today!
- Go Shopping
- Browse our plants A-Z
- Rare Plant List
- July 2018
- Non-Herbaceous Sale - 20% off
- All offers and promotions
- Herbaceous summer special - Any 3 for £21.00 saving up to £22.00
- The Cornish Coastal Collection
- Herbaceous summer special - £7.50 for single plants saving up to £7.50
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - £17.00 each saving £5
- The Ready-Made Yellow flowering Border
- Rhododendron Summer Sale - 3 for £39.00
- Shop by category
- Shop by plant type
- Flowering by Month
- New plants in 2018
- Garden Essentials
- Burncoose Website Gift Vouchers
- National Garden Tokens
- Customer Services and Information
- News and Events
- Help and Advice
- Catalogue Request
- Professional Gardeners
- About Us
- Log In / Register
emailWould you like to receive Burncoose newsletters?
Keep up to date on offers, events and news from us and the rest of the Caerhays Estate.
Leaves up to a foot long and huge trusses of bell-shaped pale yellow flowers with purple blotches
Pests & Diseases - vine weevils, scale insects, honey fungus, powdery mildew, bud blast.
Place of Origin - northeastern India. Introduced into UK by Frank Kingdon-Ward (1885-1958) in 1928.
Height - 15m (50ft)
Spread - 6m (20ft)
Evergreen - heavily-veined leaves to 30cm (12in) long, dark green above and felted grey-white beneath
Tall Shrub - produces flowers in large trusses of up to 30 trumpets.
Fertile moist well-drained soil - humus-rich
Neutral to acid soil - ideally pH 4.5 - 5.5
Flower Colour - Yellow
Cold weather damage to evergreen plants
Rhododendron - Care Guide
- Dead Heading
- Dead Heading - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Pruning - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Weed Killing
- Pests and Diseases
- Honey Fungus - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Further Reading
Rhododendron - Propagation
- Growing from seed
- Growing from cuttings
- Propagation by layering - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Propagation by other means
- Making a hybrid - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Making a hairy or scaly cross - Video Tip ondemand_video
- Caerhays bred 'Red Centurian'
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 1) Collecting Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 2) Storing Seeds
Shrubs and Trees - Seeds - 3) Planting Seeds
Fertilisers & Feeds - Vitax
Q4 Pelleted Fertiliser
A useful fertiliser suitable for use on a wide variety of plants. Q4 provides all the nutrients and trace elements essential for vigorous growth, abundant flowering and ripening of fruit.
3 options from £6.00
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Rootgrow Ericoid mycorrhizal fungi
This specially adapted Rootgrow™ mycorrhizal fungi will boost the growth of acid-loving plants like rhododendrons, azaleas, heathers and blueberries. It contains ericoid and arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, which are found in poor acidic soils where ericaceous plants naturally grow.
Fertilisers & Feeds - Empathy
Ericaceous Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser
Specially developed organic concentrated seaweed feed for ericaceous plants that is a ready to use, derived from sustainable harvested kelp, that can be used on all outdoor and indoor plants, Perfect used in conjunction with Rootgrow™ Ericoid.
Slate Plant Labels
These wonderfully tactile natural slate plant labels are hand made in Cornwall and come with a chalk pen. Just stick them in your pot or border. Pack of 6.
Slate Tie-on Plant Labels
Hand made in Cornwall, these delightful natural slate labels are perfect for pots. Comes with chalk pen. Pack of 5